Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Phil sees HALL PASS at the Camera 12-March 15, 2011

Ok, so I will admit that I am on Facebook quite a bit, but for good reasons! Some of my friends would ask me what I thought about a film, or they would recommend one to me. Recently my lovely friend Angela posted that she loved the Farrelly Brothers' new film HALL PASS and suggested that I should see it. So guess what? I went out and saw the film tonight. I had no expectations for the film whatsoever, and I walked out of the theatre feeling like I finally got my money's worth.
The film stars Owen Wilson as Rick, who is married to Maggie, played by Jenna (The Office) Fischer. However Rick is feeling a bit restless. He just can't seem to stop checking out other women, which causes problems in his marriage. Jason Sudeikis portrays Rick's best friend Fred, who is also guilty of being restless, even though he's married Christina Applegate's character Grace. When push comes to shove, Maggie grants Rick a hall pass; one week off of marriage to be single and to be free to do anything he wants. Fred also obtains his hall pass (even though he gets arrested for masturbating in his car in public to get it) and the two friends live it up for the week while the wives leave for Maggie's parents' beach house. And this where the fun begins.

The Farrelly Brothers cleverly sets up the days a la a CSI episode, each day getting the all-to-familiar jingle. From Rick and his friends playing golf while high on pot brownies to trying to pick up women at Applebee's, we get to see their attempted affairs fail each day. However Rick and Fred's luck turns around towards the end when Fred gets to make out with Rick's babysitter's aunt (who is really after Rick, so Fred pretends to be him) and Rick finally gets the opportunity to have his dream girl Leigh, played by the absolutely breathtaking Nicky Whelan. Meanwhile the wives are living it up as well as both Maggie and Grace find potential affairs as well.

The film was written and directed by the Farrelly Brothers, the two wild and crazy guys who brought us classics such as DUMB & DUMBER, THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY and SHALLOW HAL. Brothers Peter and Bobby keep the film loose and funny, while at the same time *gasp* tugging on your heart strings. While we want to see Rick and Fred wreck havoc among the female population, they are reminded of what they have and what would happen if they lost it. The Farrelly Brothers handle middle age with comedic wit, vulgarity, male nudity, and, believe it or not, style and grace. As I watched the credit roll by, I felt that I saw a transition with the Farrelly Brothers. Here was a comedy that has all of the trademark elements to make it hilarious, while at the same time made you feel like you couldn't wait to tell the person in your life how happy you are to have them. HALL PASS is more than just a comedy, it's a comedy that has a heart.

P.S. If by chance Nicky Whelan just happens to see my movie blog and reads this, I just want you to know that I love you. You are the most beautiful, enchanting, sexiest women that I have ever seen and I want to marry you. And I promise you, you will never, ever have to give me a hall pass! I promise!

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment