Friday, January 31, 2014

Phil Goes Hollywood: Phil sees I, FRANKENSTEIN at the TCL Chinese Theatre- January 18, 2014

You'd think by now I'd have already moved to Hollywood because I'm down here so much! Well I'm back here again to attend another excellent movie event, but first I thought it would be fun to check out a movie! So, along with my good friend and filmmaker Mo Whelan, we decided to go see the new action/horror/fantasy film I, FRANKENSTEIN at the legendary TCL Chinese Theater in IMAX 3D on Hollywood Blvd!

The film's official synopsis: 200 years after his shocking creation, Dr. Frankenstein's creature, Adam (Aaron Eckhart), still walks the earth. Making his way to a dark, gothic metropolis, he finds himself caught in an all-out, centuries old war between two immortal clans that could destroy humankind and to which he holds the key.

Based on his Darkstorm Studios graphic novel of the same name, creator and screenwriter Kevin Grevioux sold his script to Lakeshore Entertainment way back in 2010. The company  (mostly famous for producing the UNDERWORLD series) hired filmmaker Stuart Beattie (TOMORROW, WHEN THE WAR BEGAN) to bring the film to the big screen. Beattie is more well known for his screenplays, writing for the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN series, G.I. JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA, AUSTRALIA, and 30 DAYS OF NIGHT.

In my humble opinion, Beattie should stick to writing screenplays.

Yeah, this film was a complete waste of my time. The best way to describe it is like this: Mary Shelly meets UNDERWORLD. And that's exactly what we get. But, did we really want this?

Sure, Aaron Eckhart is a fantastic actor, and he's demonstrated this in films like THANK YOU FOR SMOKING, THE DARK KNIGHT, RABBIT HOLE, and THE RUM DIARY. But this film reminds me of his less than stellar projects like BATTLE LOS ANGELES, OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN, and NO RESERVATIONS. Eckhart is a talented actor and I just wish he made another film instead of this turd.

So the story was unoriginal (a classic horror character is thrown into the future. Gee, how many times have we seen that?), acting was mediocre, directing seemed all over the place, the characters were about as deep as a paper cup, and relied on too much CGI. Oh, did I mention it also sucked?

Now I must say it was very cool to see it on the IMAX 3D screen at the Chinese Theatre. However, I wish the theatre screened a GOOD IMAX 3D movie!

Overall I, FRANKENSTEIN did absolutely nothing for me expect wasting an hour and a half of life, that I will never get back. If you want to piss away your hard earned cash to see it, then please, be my guest. But I would save it and see something more entertaining. Or just wait till it comes out on Redbox. Or just skip it all together. and just read the graphic novel. It's probably better than the movie. 2 out of 5 stars! Total dud!


I, FRANKENSTEIN is currently playing in theaters nationwide, including theTCL Chinese Theatre here in Hollywood. To view showtimes, visit their website at www.tclchinesetheatres.com. For those in the Bay Area, visit the Camera Cinema's website at www.cameracinemas.com.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment