Monday, May 23, 2016

Phil sees THE WITCH from Lionsgate - May 22, 2016

When I first saw the trailer for today's review I was super excited. It looked very scary, absolutely terrifying really. And all the reviews for the film were positive and glowing. Finally, a horror movie that was going to scare the hell out of me! And so I finally got to see the film THE WITCH and I have to say the movie didn't even come close to living up to the hype.

Theatrical Movie Poster
The film's official synopsis: New England, 1630: William and Katherine lead a devout Christian life, homesteading on the edge of an impassible wilderness, with five children. When their newborn son mysteriously vanishes and their crops fail, the family begins to turn on one another. 'The Witch' is a chilling portrait of a family unraveling within their own fears and anxieties, leaving them prey for an inescapable evil.

So instead of doing my usual film review, I've decided to just list the pros and cons of it. Now, let me explain the pros of the movie: the cinematography was gorgeous and eerie. Acting was believable. Costumes looked very authentic. Location and production values were top notch. Actress Anya Taylor-Joy was phenomenal as our main protagonist Thomasin.

Now the cons of the movie: it wasn't scary. All the good parts were in the trailer. It dragged in certain parts. Those twins were annoying as hell. You barely saw the witch at all. The ending was anti-climatic. And it wasn't scary at all.

THE WITCH was one of the biggest horror movie letdowns for me so far this year. I was so looking forward to seeing this and in the end I was so damn disappointed. It had so much potential of becoming one of the scariest horror films of all time and unfortunately it did not deliver. 2 out of 5 stars! It's barely worth the time and the rental!


THE WITCH  is still playing in select theaters nationwide. The movie is also available on Blu-Ray and DVD at your local retailer as well as on Video On Demand, Netflix and Redbox plus digital download.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment