Friday, March 11, 2016

Phil interviews actress Devyn Leah from the upcoming film B.C. BUTCHER from Troma Entertainment-March 10, 2016

Actress Devyn Leah (photo by Ruben Rojas)
Welcome back cinephiles to my fourth installment in a series of interviews featuring the actresses from the upcoming Troma Entertainment film entitled B.C. BUTCHER, directed by Kansas Bowling. For this edition, I had the honor of interviewing actress Devyn Leah, who portrays Bamba in the film. From performing since the age of six to her upcoming LGBTQ project, read on about this fascinating woman who's on the rise to stardom.

Phil Castor: What was it like growing up in Corona, California?

Devyn Leah: What can I say? Corona is a lot slower than Los Angeles, and there's ample parking! My idea of a day out was going to the Target shopping center with friends. I miss it sometimes, but then I remember that I can get frozen yogurt delivered to my house at 3am here in Los Angeles.

PC: How old were you when you became interested in the world of performing arts?

DL: At the risk of sounding cliche, I've been interested in it all my life. I've always been the center of attention. 

PC: Was your family supportive with your passion for the arts?

DL: Of course! They came to see me in plays, dance recitals, concerts, and everything else.

PC: You wrote and acted in your first play while you were only in the first grade. Tell us what was it about and how did you come up with the idea?

DL: Oh gosh I remember putting it on in a neighbor's backyard.  I can hardly remember what it was about, except for the fact everyone kept messing up and I must have given the intro, "Please sit back, relax, and have a purrrrfect day," a few times. 

PC: How old you were when you started taking acting lessons?

Leah as Bamba from B.C. BUTCHER
DL: I believe I was around six. I took a small acting class at a church near my house, and had a small role in "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe".

PC: Did you find that acting was a creative outlet for you to express yourself?

DL: Yes! I wanted more though. Bigger roles, more lines, everything!

PC: When did you decide to move to Hollywood?

DL: I moved to Hollywood in October 2013

PC: Explain how you did you get cast in B.C. BUTCHER?

DL: I submitted to the project on the casting website, CAZT, and was invited for an audition!

PC: What was it like working with the film's director Kansas Bowling?

DL: Kansas is amazing. She knew exactly what she wanted and did it all; she's an inspiring visionary. 

PC: How would describe your character Bamba? What made you want to play this character?

DL: Bamba is the blind voice of reason whom, of course, no one really listens to. Interestingly, I had originally auditioned for Anaconda, but got invited to play Bamba! I love Bamba because she has a big heart and is a little more level headed than the other girls. Plus she's got that accent going on!

PC: Are you a fan of the horror genre? What are some of your favorite film genres?

DL: I love horror movies! My favorites are Woman in Black, and 1408. I also love comedies, whether the be live action or animation. I'm actually just a giant child.

PC: Beside acting, what other interests do you have?

Devyn Leah (photo by Aaron Lee)
DL: I still dabble in screenwriting, and just finished a feature length romantic comedy. I also perform with the burlesque troupe Brazen Booties! I'm a pole dancer, a hip hop dance captain, and I sing occasionally.

PC: What new projects are you currently working on and what are your future plans for the film industry?

DL: I'm attached to the amazing LGBTQ project, True Colors, and we're in the middle of our Kickstarter campaign! True Colors follows a group of queer high school teens in the 90s. It's going to be a groundbreaking series because most of the characters are LGBT; there's not just a couple of gay stock characters. The project means a lot to me, and everyone can check out the Kickstarter here ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmammano/true-colors  )

PC: What advice would you give to all aspiring and upcoming female talents who want to break into the film industry, especially those who wish to bring diversity and a feminine voice to the overpopulated male dominated Hollywood?

DL: Oh gosh. We need you desperately! We need all kinds of females: females of color, females of varying sexualities, body sizes, backgrounds, transgirls, EVERYONE! Just keep at it, and you'll break through. You might have to take some weird roles, but don't do anything you're not comfortable with. You're more than a stereotype, girl. We'll take this town and this industry by storm; I can promise you that.

To learn more about Devyn Leah, visit her website at devynleah.com and be sure to check out her Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts. To learn more about Troma and their upcoming release of B.C. BUTCHER, visit their website at www.troma.com.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment