Sunday, March 6, 2016

Phil interviews actress Molly Elizabeth Ring from the upcoming film B.C. BUTCHER from Troma Entertainment-March 6, 2016

Actress Molly Elizabeth Ring (courtesy IMDb)
My series of interviews with the actresses from director Kansas Bowling's film B.C. BUTCHER from Troma Entertainment continues. Recently I had the honor of interviewing Molly Elizabeth Ring, who portrays Poppy in the film. From working with the famous Coen Brothers to her love of supernatural and psychological films, below is my interview with this strikingly stunning up & coming actress from Minnesota.

Phil Castor: Let's start at the beginning. Where were you born and raised at? 

Molly Elizabeth Ring: I was born and raised in the suburbs of Minneapolis, Minnesota!

PC: What's your family like? Are they involved in the film industry?

MER: A few of my cousins work in the industry, but my immediate family doesn't. More of my family is in the law field actually! My grandpa did back the Coen Brother's first film though.

PC: Oh that's very interesting. How did he meet the Coen Brothers? And their first film was entitled BLOOD SIMPLE correct?

MER: It was! Also, they are from Minnesota! I don't know how exactly they met but my dad's side of the family (which the grandpa I'm talking about is on) is Jewish and so I think they knew each other through that community.

PC: How old were you when you decided you wanted to act?

MER: I've known I like performing for as long as I can remember, but I think around 8 I realized I really wanted to be an actor.

PC: Did you attend any acting classes while you were in school?

MER: I actually was fortunate that my elementary and middle schools had great arts programs so I had drama class from Kindergarten-8th grade. Then in high school I went to a performing arts school so I definitely took a lot of acting classes there. I also took a bunch of classes outside of school.

PC: Now you made your film debut in the Coen Brothers movie A SERIOUS MAN. What was your on-set experience like?

Ring as Poppy on B.C. Butcher (photo from FB)
MER: It was a scene on the beach that was supposed to be taking place in the summer, but it was filmed in the fall at a lake in Minnesota, and it was super cold! We had heaters off camera to keep everyone warm though. It was really cool seeing such a high level production in action, especially since I really love the Coen Brother's movies.

PC: What do you love about their films? Can we expect you to appear in any of their future projects?

MER: I love the quirkiness, because I'm very quirky as well! And hopefully, call me in whenever you need a redhead, Joel and Ethan!

PC: Tell us how you got involved with B.C.BUTCHER? What attracted you to the project?

MER: I actually wasn't able to make it to the audition, but Kansas liked my look and chose me for the part anyways! I love horror movies so that was definitely what attracted me to the project originally.

PC: Since you love horror films, what are some of your favorites? What is it that you love about the genre?

MER: My favorites are the supernatural or psychological horror films. POLTERGEIST is probably my favorite of the classics, and for the more modern movies I really liked THE CONJURING  and SINISTER! I think what I love the most is that many have surreal aspects. Also, although I'm not pagan myself, paganism and wicca and other spiritualisms really interest me, and they tend to be included in a lot of horror movies as well. Plus, I just love anything psychological!

PC: What was it like working with the film's director Kansas Bowling?

MER: Kansas is great! She's extremely professional and definitely mature for her age. Even though I'm taller than her, I sometimes forget that she's actually 4 years younger than me!

PC: Describe your character Poppy. Did Kansas allow you to improvise on the set?

MER: Poppy is the naive one of the group, but she's smarter (and less innocent) than she first appears! We did do some improvisation during filming, for instance almost everything Kato said on film was improvised, so my responses were too.

PC: There's a debate on whether to make movies on film like Kansas did or shooting on digital cameras. Do you have a preference for either one?

Molly Elizabeth Ring (courtesy IMDb)
MER: I've heard, film takes longer for post production and is more expensive, but it has a really cool look to it! I think that certain movies can really benefit from that look while others would do better with digital.

PC: Do you have any other projects that you are currently working on?

MER: I'm currently working on some web content that I can't quite talk about yet, but stay tuned!

PC: What are your future plans in the film industry? What are you hoping to accomplish?

MER: I hope to be someone that people look forward to watching in whatever roles I play. I'd love to be an actor that people can look up to as well. Also an oscar or two wouldn't hurt!

PC: Besides acting, are you interested in becoming a director or producer? Or maybe having your own production company?

MER: I haven't really thought about it that much, but maybe I would direct someday! Producing is a bit too daunting to me. And having my own production company would also be cool, but for a later time in life!

PC: What advice would you offer aspiring actresses who want to break in the film industry, especially those who want to bring diversity and a feminine voice to the male dominated Hollywood?

MER: Never stop trying. That's the advice I give myself everyday. This industry is tough, but if you don't give up then when you're older you can look back on your life without regrets.

To learn more about Molly Elizabeth Ring, visit her website at www.mollyelizabethring.com and be sure to check out her Twitter and Instagram accounts. To learn more about Troma and their upcoming release of B.C. BUTCHER, visit their website at www.troma.com.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment