Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Phil sees DON'T BE AFARID OF THE DARK at the Camera 12-Sept. 17, 2011

I was on a roll this past Saturday. I saw two films at the Camera 7 (THE HELP and CONTAGION) and third film that I wanted to see was playing at the Camera 12 in Downtown San Jose. So I made my way there to see the new horror film DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK, a remake produced by the great Guillermo del Toro. The trailers and commercials made the film look so promising. Needless to say, I really didn't like the film.

The film's about a young girl named Sally (Bailee Madison) who's sent to go live with her dad Alex (Guy Pierce) and his new girlfriend Kim (Katie Holmes) in their new home that once belonged to a famous and deranged artist. When the family discovers a secret basement in the house, they unwillingly unleash an army of small demonic creatures that want Sally, and Kim is the only adult that can help.

As I stated, the film is a remake of an old TV horror film produced by Lorimar Television company back in 1973. After watching the movie, I knew that I was gonna have a hard time writing this blog.

This film didn't hold my interest at all. I found it flat, boring, no real suspense, no real horror, nothing. However, young Madison was very good in the film. In fact, she was the only thing good about the film! Everything and everybody else in the film is not worth even mentioning. However, I will say that Katie Holmes' career is as good as dead, and it'll be a miracle if she ever gets it back on track.

To try to review or talk about the rest of the film seems utterly pointless right now. I was really looking forward to this film, cause as I've said, I love horror movies. And this my friends, is NOT a good horror film.

DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK is a lifeless horror film that doesn't even make the attempt to scare you, or at least chill you or thrill you. I'm a big fan of Toro and I admire his work. I just wish he produced a film that was supposed to be scary, not bore me for an hour and a half. My advise is to best skip this movie folks and see something else that's way more entertaining.

DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK is now playing in theaters nationwide, including at the Camera Cinemas here in the South Bay. To view showtimes, visit their website at http://www.cameracinemas.com

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment